Apply to Teach at SASLI
All interested applicants will need to complete a Position Vacancy Listing through the UW Jobs Center. For detailed listings of the current job openings, please visit the Position Vacancy Listings (PVLs) linked below. Please read the PVL postings carefully and contact us if you have questions:
For Lecturers: The deadline to apply to SASLI 2022 has passed.
For Faculty Assistants: The deadline to apply to SASLI 2022 has passed.
Applications must be submitted through the UW-Madison online job portal. Required materials for the online portal will include:
- A letter of application
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A document stating for which language and preferred level you wish to be considered. You may choose more than one level, but you must rank the levels in the order of your preference. Please review this document with samples of language preference formats.
Please pay attention to the following when applying:
- Applications sent by mail or email will not be accepted.
- Please do not submit applications for languages other than those listed on the PVL.
- You must submit all three items (cover letter, CV, language(s)/level(s) of interest) in order to be considered for a position.
- Instructor position dates are one week longer than the dates of SASLI classes, as instructors are expected to participate in the entirety of pedagogy training prior to the start of the program.
Some applications will be selected for further review and will be required to submit additional information to SASLI.
Applicants selected for further review will be asked to submit the following:
- Same cover letter and CV as the first round application
- Two letters of recommendation
- A sample syllabus for the language and preferred level that includes a sample lesson plan for 1 week detailed with 4 hours of class time per day (Lecturer applicants only. Those applying for an FA position are exempt.) – More information about the class format for the purpose of creating a sample syllabus will be given at the time that finalists are selected.
- Student evaluations from past courses taught (required of Lecturer applicants, recommended for FA applicants if available.
Please note: not all applications will be asked to complete a second application. Additionally, the turnaround for the second application is typically quite short (around two weeks). We encourage our qualified applicants to prepare/think ahead to this round of the application to ensure their materials are received in time.
Late materials/applications will not be accepted. If you have any questions about the application process, please reach out to the SASLI team.
Hiring of instructors is contingent upon sufficient enrollment. Class confirmations/cancellations are determined in the Spring. As such, it may not be until April that a final decision is made on your instructor application. If you have not heard from us, your application may be on hold until student enrollment numbers stabilize and we can make a more informed decision on hiring.
Eligibility for employment differs in requirements between Faculty Assistants and Lecturers. We encourage those interested in a position at SASLI to review closely the minimum requirements of each position as listed in the PVL before applying to determine which best suits their experiences. You are welcome to apply, however, to both the FA and Lecturer position.
A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. For hired instructors requiring a visa for employment, we will assist in the visa application process by preparing the necessary documents proving your employment at SASLI, however, it is at the discretion of the applicant to check all dates, requirements, and conditions of a current/or potential visa in order to be eligible for employment.
The salary range listed on the PVL is the minimum base rate on which the instructor’s salary for the summer session would be calculated. This range is determined based on the academic year rate in accordance with UW-Madison Title and Total Compensation. The actual compensation for this nine-week appointment would range between $11,000-$13,500, dependent on the offered position and applicant experience. More information on the Title and Total Compensation project can be found here.
Instructors are responsible for their own travel costs, accommodations, and living expenses. SASLI will assist in providing resources to find housing/living accommodations and information regarding the transition to Madison.