- SASLI is an intensive, 8-week language learning program equivalent to one year’s worth of language study during the academic year (i.e., four weeks equals one semester).
- SASLI offers the first- and second-year study of modern South Asian languages and Sanskrit, as well as the third-year study of Hindi, Sanskrit, and Urdu. SASLI students will be prepared for subsequent training domestically and abroad. Find archived syllabi and placement information available here.
- Classes meet for 4 hours daily, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 1 pm, with one 30-minute break. One class is the equivalent of one week during the academic year, so absences for reasons other than illness are excused only in exceptional circumstances.
- SASLI participants must complete the two consecutive 4-week sessions and pass the first semester to continue to the second. The program consists of 156-160 contact hours (depending on when the July 4 holiday falls).
- SASLI offers a variety of social and cultural events for students to take a break and meet others in the program, including cricket games, South Asian film screenings, board game nights, local excursions, and study breaks with chai and samosas!
- The SASLI Lecture Series and culminating All SASLI Program featuring class performances are two popular events that will take your learning outside the classroom.
- SASLI scholars participate in professional development opportunities with fellow language learners from other intensive summer language institutes, including the LCTL Career Fair and the WISLI student conference.
- Upon completion of the program, students receive 8 UW-Madison credits and two letter grades for each semester. SASLI alumni can request a UW-Madison transcript.
“Ten years ago I first walked into a SASLI classroom. Now this was my final year learning a language at SASLI. I’m so grateful for all the time and effort that the administration, staff, and professors have put over these years. I have had such a great experience learning so many languages and meeting amazing people along the way. As always, learning a language during the summer in Madison is always the right move!”
– Nichole S. 2023 SASLI Student
Prospective students can select among the following languages and levels for summer 2024:
- Bangla (Elementary)
- Hindi (Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Sanskrit (Elementary)
- Tamil (Elementary)
- Tibetan (Elementary)
- Urdu ((Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Bangla (Intermediate)
- Dari (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Gujarati (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Marathi (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Nepali (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Pashto (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Punjabi (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Sanskrit (Intermediate & Advanced)
- Sinhala (Elementary & Intermediate)
- Tamil (Intermediate)
- Tibetan (Intermediate)
Kannada, Malayalam, and Telugu are offered by the University of Texas at Austin. Details available here.